The Universe is Playing With Me

Week from Hell. Well worse than normal anyways seeing as how I am already in Hell if such a place actually existed. Yeah I know that there really is a town called Hell in Michigan but that’s totally unrelated to this post. I’m talking about the mythical Hell. The Universe has decided to bestow upon me a case of the klutzes and a generally “I wish I could just stay in bed” batch of days.

Monday wasn’t too bad aside from me not eating anything of substance until about 9pm making me quite grouchy earlier on in the day, but I did get to see “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” at a late afternoon matinee and loved it. Kind of made the grouchiness go away for about two and a half hours. Monday matinees are cool because hardly anyone is at the theater yet until night time. My short review of the movie can be seen in my previous post.

Anyways, things started going goofy on Tuesday. First off, had to deal with crazy drivers on the road going to and from work. If you ever come to Michigan, know that we have some of the lousiest and rudest drivers in the country. After work, I go to the bank for some grocery money as I had hardly any food in the house and I needed something for dinner. I spend a little more time than I wanted to in the store, but no biggie, and then get home with still plenty of time for my after work walkabout before I make my dinner. I come back home, turn on classic Doctor Who, and step into the kitchen to prep and cook. I sprayed a cookie sheet with some cooking spray (not my normal brand) and then put the food on and throw into oven. Yeah, pretty mundane. Not even three minutes later, there is smoke billowing from my stove. HOLY CRAP BALLS BATMAN!!! I quickly turn the stove off, open up the windows, turn fans on, and wait a minute or two before opening the stove to get the pan out. NEVER open the oven right away just in case of fire. So now I had to try and de-smoke the house before I could continue cooking. Timing is thrown off on my chicken and I am missing Doctor Who. I finally get to finish cooking my chicken, ended up being really dry but thankfully the other ingredients of my Greek salad w/ chicken wraps will help negate the dryness of the chicken. So another late dinner night and the smokey smell lingered in the house for much of the night.

Tuesday wasn’t quite as scary but one of those days where nothing goes right whatsoever and you just want to scream “FUCKITALL!” I get to work a little late (not like anyone really notices or cares). I do my normal ritual of starting my work day with a granola bar and tea, PG Tips this week. I go to put some honey into my tea and somehow end up knocking it over all over my desk and some on me. Four letter expletives fly. Luckily there was more on the desk than me but it is quite embarrassing when you have to dab your pants off with water to make sure no stains set in and walk around the office with the front of your pants looking wet. Uncomfortable too. Had to then clean my desk. I nearly knock my little plant over but caught it before it tipped. And then, once I got everything cleaned up I went to make myself another cuppa. I sit back down and then the doorbell sounds, prompting me to get back up to answer it. I sit back down, it sounds again. Repeat this about 4 times. and then afterwards, nothing seemed to be going right for me for the rest of the day.

Wednesday was more of the same without the tea spilling. It started to die down after 5pm though. Then, on my way home, I started hearing some disturbing noises being made by my car. Unsafe noises. One noise I figured was the brakes as those were about due to go anyways. I also heard another, more sinister noise that I just could not ignore. So I get home and start searching the phone book for a good auto repair shop. Another late dinner and now of course got to try to get to bed early to wake up early to take my beloved car to the car doctor. Well getting to bed early was not really an option as I still had to wash a load of towels. I also had to make a call to the Health Insurance Marketplace regarding some confusing mail I got from them, and of course when you call them you need to expect to be on the phone for at least an hour. So yeah, didn’t get to bed until after 2:30am and needed to get up by 7am. Can you say “Zombie Thursday”?

Thursday, take my car in. Was told they would call me within two hours to let me know what needed done and how much. I of course waited by the phone to no avail. I did not want to travel to work as I didn’t want them calling while I was on the road. My #1 rule with mobile phones is no calls or texting while driving. Well, after nearly four hours, I went ahead and drove to work in a borrowed car because Thursdays are a busy day for me as that is when I create the next week’s schedule for the Michigan and Indiana stations I am responsible for. I need to check for new shows, see who I need to add or bump, all that fun stuff. I may no longer be the big fish in the company that I once was, but I still have some power. Well, this stuff takes time and I really cannot dilly-dally when I need to leave earlier than usual so that the person I borrowed the car from can get himself to work on time. I get into work and call the mechanic to check on the status as I had not heard from them when they said they would contact me. They give me the line, “I was just about to call you” and then tell me what needs to be done but will call me back with total estimate and estimated time of completion. There were brake pads and rotors, some bearings (which would explain the rumble and rattle I guess), my drive belt which I had replaced only a couple years ago, and then some motor for the window that went bad on me a few years ago and I never got fixed. When they called me back they gave me the information, and all I can say is thank goodness I earmarked my tax return money for car repairs this year. I pride myself on being responsible with money (I have to be seeing as how I don’t have much). Aside from one or two mistakes I’m kicking myself big time in the butt for, I can gladly say that despite being poor I have yet to be in debt and I hope I never experience that. Have gotten close to pawning stuff off though and many times dining on dry toast.

Finally got my car back on Friday, and aside from some preliminary sounds from the new brakes, all seems well. some of those drivers on US-24 really wanted to put my brakes to the test though. Work was more constant interruptions but luckily Friday has become a light day lately since I no longer have to edit tv guide myself. I was beat though. Got home, had dinner, went on my walkabout, then came back home and crashed on the couch for a bit without accomplishing any of the plans I made for the day. That part seems to happen a lot though, make plans but then I crash or get doing something else.


About DarkPhoenix

I am an open book. My pages are just stuck together.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.